When To Go To The Emergency Room
- Parent Category: Patients and Visitors
- Published: Saturday, 28 August 2010 11:28
If you or someone else requires emergency medical assistance, immediately call 911.
Is the condition a medical emergency?
If you're unsure if a condition is a medical emergency, call 911. Operators are trained to help you determine the extent of the emergency and the best actions for proper care of the victim.
The American College of Emergency Physicians offers the following list of warning signs that indicate a medical emergency. Immediately call 911 if you or someone else has:
- Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath
- Chest or upper abdominal pain or pressure
- Fainting, sudden dizziness, weakness
- Changes in vision
- Confusion or changes in mental status
- Any sudden or severe pain
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea
- Coughing or vomiting blood
- Suicidal feelings
- Difficulty speaking
- Unusual abdominal pain
For more information about specific medical emergencies, go to the American College of Emergency Physicians website.
Should I drive to the hospital?
If you're unsure, call 911. Operators are trained to help you determine the extent of the emergency and the best actions for proper care of the victim.
If you drive to the hospital
If you decide to drive to the hospital, know the location and the fastest route to the emergency department.
At Kingman Regional Medical Center, our emergency department is staffed and equipped to provide rapid life-saving emergency care for patients of any age.
If possible, bring with you all bottles of prescription and over-the-counter medications that the victim may have recently taken. If there's time, other items are also important (see What to Bring to the ER).
Should I call ahead?
Call 911. If necessary, the 911 dispatcher will notify the KRMC Emergency Room of the specific circumstances and that you're on your way to the hospital.
Driving directions to KRMC's Emergency Room
From U.S. Interstate 40:
- In Kingman, Arizona take Stockton Hill Rd. Exit #51
- Turn north onto Stockton Hill Rd. (from the west turn left, from the east turn right)
- Go about one block on Stockton Hill Rd. to the first light and turn left at the 'Emergency' sign
Address: 3269 Stockton Hill Road, Kingman, AZ 86409