Inside KRMC Comments Off
What is this EMR (Electronic Medical Record) everyone keeps hearing about? It is a group of computer applications that will provide the foundation for sharing information about our patients.
The input of patient data such as documentation, vital signs, medication administration, orders, results and transcribed reports into systems opens many doors. A few of them are:
- Consistent charting using standard formats and content.
- Provision of alerts and prompts based on embedded rules, which can be in the form of reminders, clinical alerts related to lab values, recommended forms of treatment all based on our P&Pâ€™s, evidence-based best practice, diagnosis, etc.
- Providing one point of entry into the patientâ€™s chart.
- Providing mobile, remote access to patient information any time, anywhere, on a need-to-know basis.
- Generation of reports, not only from numerical data, but from clinical, textual data.
In the weeks to come, these projects will kick off and you may see activity or be invited to attend a meeting. There will also be multiple communication channels for you to learn more about the EMRâ€™s.
A naming contest is underway and the winner (of an iPod) will be announced soon! Stay tuned each month for more information.